Planned Parenthood Action Fund supports Bob Menendez, ‘a steadfast champion for all people and their access to health care’
New Brunswick, NJ – The Menendez for Senate Campaign today announced that Bob Menendez has been endorsed for reelection to the U.S. Senate by the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, citing his strong support of women’s reproductive rights.
“I am grateful to have the support of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, a group that I have long supported in its fight to protect women’s health,” said Sen. Menendez. “I am proud of my 100% rating from Planned Parenthood, for standing up for reproductive rights and the rights of women to control their own bodies, and for fighting efforts to make it harder for women to access the health care they need. Each day, I try to live by the values that my mother taught me to fight to ensure equal access and opportunity for my daughter, for my granddaughter, and for every woman. Together, we can make sure that women’s rights are recognized as human rights. The stakes in this election and in preserving and protecting our shared values have never been higher.”
“Planned Parenthood Action Fund is proud to endorse Senator Bob Menendez for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Menendez is a longtime supporter of the care that Planned Parenthood health centers provide. Menendez has fought against every attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and has advocated for access to birth control by co-sponsoring legislation to make it more affordable and accessible for all women. Menendez knows that every woman should have the right to access safe, legal abortion, free from discrimination—that’s why he co-sponsored legislation that protects a woman’s right to an abortion regardless of what state she lives in,” said Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund. “Reproductive rights and health care are non-negotiable. Access to safe, legal abortion is non-negotiable. Senator Menendez is the kind of tireless fighter for reproductive health care that we need in the Senate.”
“Over 77,000 people in New Jersey rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for basic health care. With the Trump-Pence administration and GOP leadership focusing on rolling back women’s reproductive health and rights every chance they have, New Jerseyans can count on Senator Bob Menendez to fight to protect access to care for Planned Parenthood patients. We are proud that Planned Parenthood Action Fund is supporting Senator Menendez in his re-election to the U.S. Senate—he is always on the side of women and will continue to be the champion for reproductive rights that he has proven to be time and again when re-elected in November,” said Christine Sadovy, Legislative and Political Director, Planned Parenthood Action Fund of New Jersey.
Planned Parenthood cited the senator’s long record as a “steadfast champion for all people and their access to health care, including standing up for women’s reproductive health and rights”:
· Co-sponsored the Women’s Health Protection Act, legislation to protect a woman’s right to safe, legal abortion by blocking laws intended to restrict access to reproductive health care
· Co-sponsored the Access to Contraception for Women Servicemembers and Dependents Act, which would allow all women who receive health care through the military to access all FDA-approved contraception, and require the Department of Defense to develop a comprehensive family planning education program for all service members
· Called on the Trump-Pence Administration to reverse its decision to end the Affordable Care Act’s birth control mandate
· Signed a letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan urging him not to attack Planned Parenthood in order to preserve Planned Parenthood health center’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid
· Opposed the Trump-Pence Administration’s rule rolling back protections for birth control coverage for women
· Signed a letter to Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar seeking answers from the Trump-Pence Administration regarding their recent radical and unethical changes to Title X—the nation’s only program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care
· Signed a letter to Secretary Azar expressing opposition to the Domestic Gag Rule, which more than 400,000 American citizens, health care providers and health care institutions have spoken out against. The rule would make it illegal for doctors and nurses across the country to tell their patients how they can safely and legally access abortion, as well as severely restrict access to reproductive health care provider
· Fought against Trumpcare—the worst bill for women in a generation—and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans, and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid
Bob Menendez voted “NO” on Justice Gorsuch and opposes the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, both of whom are risks to women’s reproductive rights. He also helped author the Affordable Care Act and continues to work to ensure that preventive services, such as an annual well-woman visits and mammograms, are available free of out-of-pocket costs.
Sen. Menendez has a 100% rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund Congressional Scorecard.